RCC.com: UDRP Filed by Royal Caribbean Cruises - UPDATED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCC.com: UDRP Filed by Royal Caribbean Cruises - UPDATED

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. has filed a UDRP against the high value RCC.com domain name. The UDRP was filed at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). The UDRP is WIPO Case D2019-1042. According to UDRP.Tools, there have only been two other UDRP filings involving LLL.com domain names so far in 2019.

RCC.com is currently registered to BQDN.com, the domain name brokerage firm operated by James Booth. In a comment posted on this publication in December of 2016, James mentioned that his company had recently acquired the domain name. RCC.com currently forwards to an offer form on the Uniregistry Marketplace where it is listed for sale.

In my opinion, RCC.com is worth mid five figures as an investment, but as with any three letter .com domain name, it could be worth more to the right buyer.

Royal Caribbean operates its flagship website on RoyalCaribbean.com, and the parent company uses RCLCorporate.com for its website. In addition, the company’s investor relations website is RCLInvestor.com. The company also owns the RCCL.com domain name, which forwards to RoyalCaribbean.com. It looks like the company uses @RCCL.com for its Whois email and possibly corporate email addresses.

There are quite a few entities that use RCC as their acronym or initials. In fact, a Google search of “RCC” using an incognito browser window doesn’t even show Royal Caribbean in the top 10 results for me. Many of the top results when I searched were community colleges and congregational churches. One of the first things that comes to my mind when I think of RCC is RC Cola. I think it will be difficult for Royal Caribbean to prove that a valuable LLL.com domain name like this was registered and is being used in bad faith when there are so many other entities that have RCC as its initials.

From what I can see on its website, it does not appear that Royal Caribbean uses “RCC” in its branding or marketing. In fact, on the Royal Caribbean parent company website, “RCL” is referenced many times, but I don’t see any reference to “RCC.” On the Royal Caribbean investor website, the external link to the corporate entity (which I believe filed the UDRP) is listed as “RCL Corporate.”

Perhaps interestingly, another cruise line, MSC, filed a UDRP to get MSC.com and lost. Because MSC now owns MSC.com, I am sure the company paid a lot of money to buy it from the registrant. The domain name had previously been acquired for nearly $50,000 USD, so I would assume MSC ended up paying into the six figures to buy that domain name from the registrant after the UDRP failed.

Based on what I can see, I don’t see how Royal Caribbean is going to win this valuable domain name via UDRP. I will share an update when the decision is published.

Update: James Booth informed me that his company won the UDRP. In addition, it now says “complaint denied” on the WIPO website. Decision has not yet been published.

Source: DomainInvesting

WELCOME TO DOMAINX™ FORUM

Collapse

Since 2014, DOMAINX™ was developed to build community and provide income opportunities to aspiring Internet professionals, is now a part of multiple success stories.

Disclaimer: Views expressed by members are their own, and not those of DOMAINX™.

Collapse